Facebook

Friday, February 3, 2012

Barking Mad at Muslim Zealots!

            So what’s the number one problem in the world today? Well, that’s a loaded question, isn’t it? You might mention the economy, homelessness, cancer, starving children, inadequate education, the health care system, crooked politicians, nuclear weapons or global warming.  Choose whichever one you like, and you’d be right. But the mega problem that takes the number one spot on my top ten list has to be religious zealots.

            Religious fanatics abound throughout the world, and the one thing they have in common is that they want to force the rest of us to abide by their particular notions of right and wrong. Today, the zealot spotlight lands on...Holland, of all places.

            Last week, a politician representing the Islam Democrats party proposed a law that would ban dogs from The Hague, which is one of the largest cities in the Netherlands. Islamic tradition states that dogs are unclean, and some Muslims appear to believe that it is a violation of their freedom of religion to have to see a dog in a public area. Muslims, who now account for 12% of the population of The Hague, are proposing laws that would make it illegal for the other 88% of the population to own dogs. Excuse me?

            When confronted by a religious wacko, I usually just walk away. I know you can’t change a zealot’s mind, and I don’t have the patience to listen to nonsense. However, someone legislating the restriction of other people’s personal liberties for his own religious purposes is dangerous. I won't be walking away from this one. Just try to take my dog, man.

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/644807-muslims-declare-jihad-on-dogs-in-europe

Latest update on this issue -- Today the Islam Democrat representative in Holland issued a denial; he never called for a ban on dogs. His words were taken out of context. Of course they were. And if he tells us that his dog ate his homework, are we supposed to believe that, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment